Carve unique sculptural stone set jewellery in the form of a bezel-set ring design. Join us over four days for this brilliant addition to our wax carving and stone setting courses.
Students build on their existing wax carving skills and learn how to carve waxes ready to make stone-set jewellery, how to prepare their castings and ultimately how to set the stones creating one of a kind pieces.
This fun workshop equips the student with another valuable technique to bring more range to their existing jewellery making practice.
This course is presented twice a year – in May & November in 2023
At A Glance
- $595 inc GST
- 4 Day Course over 2 Weekends (with a break weekend in between) - this course is presented twice a year
- 2 weekends - 2 x Saturdays & 2 x Sundays | 10 am- 4 pm
Thank you for another amazing class. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn how to create wax carvings for stone settings! No book or online video came close to what I learned in this class. the hands on experience and having a professional jeweller/teacher to ask questions and correct problems along the way was invaluable.Jessica
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Wax Carving for Jewels – Stone Setting Workshop is an intensive four-day jewellery making course during which students will learn about the process of making waxes for stone settings. Students will make a wax model for a bezel-set ring. Students will be guided through technical as well as experimental techniques.
This jewellery making workshop is designed to provide students who have attended the ‘Carve Your own Silver Ring- Wax Workshop’ at SquarePeg or who have equivalent experience in wax carving with an extension to their existing skills.
On days one and two students will have the opportunity to make a ring with a bezel setting in the wax that will be professionally cast in time for the second week of the workshop. Making settings for cabochon cut stones will be explored during days one and two of the workshop.
On days three and four students will learn how to clean up their cast pieces, prepare them for setting, and how to set their stones. Students will also have the opportunity to bring along stones from their collection for discussion on the stone setting approach with the tutor.
The course allows plenty of time for experimentation. Our aim is to provide you with the skills and techniques you need to continue to develop your practice beyond the workshop.
What To Expect
What you Learn
Guided Technical Project
Students will learn how to measure, mark up and make a carved wax ring with a bezel setting
Students will learn technical terms, about the tools
Students will learn how to effectively and safely use mechanical rotary tools in the creation of their designs and for polishing (either flex shaft or micro-motor equipment)
Students will gain an understanding of technical terms used, the tools used and what they do and the materials required to continue working with wax
Students learn how to set stones into the cast metal pieces.
The techniques learned here are ones that can be used at home to make wax models for jewellery.
What You Make
You will have the opportunity to make at least one ring as well as having time to experiment with other small projects.
After the second day, the wax models are taken to our professional cast house to be cast in the metal of your choice. You can choose from a variety of metals however the most popular choice for appearance and cost is sterling silver.
The cost of your piece depends on its weight and the price of the metal you choose on the day it is cast.
Students usually spend between $30 and $70 on casting, but this is dependent on how weighty the design is, and what metal is selected.
To ensure the best experience for students this class is capped at 8 students.
What is Included
- All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax ring
- One semi-precious cabochon-cut stone
- The use of all tools and consumables such as solder, saw blades, drill bits, emery and solder, required to complete the projects.
- A selection of teas, coffee and delish biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
- We take your wax rings to be cast in time for the second set of classes
- We weigh your pieces and let you know an approximate price for each piece. This is calculated reliant on the cost of the metal selected for the casting of your piece
What to Bring
- Students may wish to bring their own stones for discussion or use in their project, please note that no fragile stones such as opals can be used. If in doubt of the suitability of the stone you wish to incorporate in your design, please get in touch with us for clarification.
- Magnifying glasses or a jewellers loupe.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Cash for the cost of the casting of your work – payable on the second weekend of the course (usually $20 – $80 this is dependent on the scale of the design/s, the metal selected and the number of items to be cast.) Your tutor will advise you on all matters relating to this process.
- Your ideas and creativity!
- We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Peace of Mind Booking – purchase refund protection at checkout. Terms and Conditions apply in the payment options field
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Is the date you are interested in sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. firstname.lastname@example.org
About scheduling of this class
This is a four-day workshop presented over two weekends (2 x Saturdays & 2 x Sundays ~ 10 am- 4 pm).
Note that there is always a one-weekend break in between the two scheduled weekends.
I absolutely loved this course! It was a lot of fun and I learned so much. One of my favourite things about it was the focus on teaching skills that can be continued and developed in your jewellery making journey - it's not just about making the pieces in that course. Emily is super insightful and an excellent & caring teacher. I've done a few courses at SquarePeg and couldn't recommend the studio highly enough!Embeth
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.