SquarePeg Studios is excited to bring you, special guest tutor, Kirra-lea Cayne’s newest workshop, UnEarthed – Sandcasting Cutlery.
During the 2020 lockdown, Kirra-lea didn’t take a break! No way, too much experimenting to be done. During that time she “spent months exploring sand casting cutlery and fell in love”. Now Kirra-lea will be sharing all her expertise with the students at SquarePeg.
In this one day workshop, Kirra-lea will guide you through the process of conceptualising and casting your very own silver and copper cutlery pieces.
At A Glance
- $485 inc GST
- Materials Included
- One Day | 7 Hours
From the recent UnEarthed Workshop.
A really in-depth class where you were able to get loads of practical practice and come away with wearable pieces. Kirra- Lea is an engaging and encouraging teacher and so very generous in sharing her experience and knowledge. Square Peg is a wonderful venue - a most welcoming and non-intimidating space to get inspired and hands-on with jewellery making. Thank you!
ABOUT THE COURSE
Kirra-lea Caynes, a trade-qualified jeweller who has been manufacturing for over 11 years leads this is brilliant one day workshop. With her passion for contemporary jewellery, particularly inspired by raw materials and natural phenomena, she has been using the sand casting technique for over 7 years and is constantly making new discoveries that she generously shares with her students.
Lucky students will be guided through the process of conceptualising and casting their very own items of silver and copper cutlery. Students will make two items, one copper and silver regular-sized piece, and one smaller copper piece, perhaps a spoon, cheese knife, olive fork or serving utensil, it’s up to you!
This workshop caters to all skill sets, including novices with no previous experience. That means everyone is welcome! You will leave the workshop with your two pieces of cutlery finished and ready to use!
What To Expect
What You Will Learn
Sand casting by its very nature can lead to a myriad of unexpected outcomes. You can expect to learn about the equipment, tools, materials and techniques required to create unique sand cast pieces.
Kirra-lea will share all the tips and tricks that she has learned over many years of sand casting in her own studio along with the passion that she has for this technique.
What You Will Make
- one silver and copper regular-sized cutlery item.
- one smaller copper piece.
To ensure our students have the best learning experience our Beginners workshop is capped at 6.
What is Included
- 30g of sterling silver
- 50g of copper
- An extensive array of cutlery and objects to mould and cast. Students can bring along their own item of cutlery to mould.
- The materials provided will allow you to make 2 pieces of cutlery. If you require more metal there will be an option to purchase more on the day.
- All the consumables you need to make your projects as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- A selection of teas, coffee and yummy biscuits.
What to Bring
- You have the option of bringing your own silver and cutlery piece to add a more personal touch to the experience.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron, please note that we are working with clay, so it can get a little messy.
- Your ideas and creativity
- We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Is the date you would like to join sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. email@example.com
Fantastic class and you walked away with completely finished pieces! Kirra-lee was a wonderful teacher, very engaging & knowledgeable. Square peg studios were well equipped and the small class size was perfect. Would highly recommend the sandcasting course.Zoe, 2021
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.
Kirra-lea is a qualified jeweller with over 10 years experience in the trade, having learnt many traditional and contemporary metal smithing techniques. She is a multi-award winning jewellery designer and manufacturer, winning competitions including The Jewellery Association of Australia Jewellery Awards and Diamond Guild Australia Design Awards. Kirra-lea recently won the colour category and the title of Jeweller of the Year in the 2019 Jewellers Association of Australia Design competition.
Based in Melbourne, Australia Kirra-lea works as the sole manufacturer and designer from her home studio. Kirra-lea is also an accomplished sand caster and specialises in cast-in-place rough sapphires. This unique skill has enabled her to travel around Australia teaching fellow jewellers and novices alike the ancient technique. All her rough sapphires are Australian mined by small family businesses and hobbyists. Kirra-lea also makes fossicking trips to Tasmania where she finds her own rough gemstones in the pristine North East rivers.
SquarePeg Studios is delighted to welcome Kirra-lea as a guest tutor for the first time in 2020.