Is it really possible to make a unique sterling silver ring in one day from scratch? with no experience at all? At SquarePeg Studios it is.
In this fast-paced and fun, one day workshop your experienced tutor guides you through the foundation skills of metalsmithing.
Play with metal saws and cut silver, play with hammers to texture and shape your metal, play with fire and learn to solder your ring!
Experience all the steps required to make your own sterling silver ring. There is nothing better than wearing your own creation!
Are you thinking this would a brilliant gift? Click here to gift this course.
At A Glance
- $230 inc GST
- Fast-paced & fun workshop
- Saturday or Sunday | 10 am to 4 pm
Such a brilliant day! Danielle was the most wonderful tutor- instructive, hands-on but also happy to give students space to do their thing (and then come back for the rescue when needed)! So happy with my experience and ended up with a lovely ring and new skills I will adore.Lauren, 2021
ABOUT THE COURSE
Make a Ring in a Day is a great introduction to jewellery making – learn the fundamentals needed to produce a unique sterling silver ring. And it’s also a lot of fun!
This is a great one day experience and is perfect to do solo, with a friend or book the whole class for a special occasion.
Make a Ring in a Day is also a brilliant introduction for people who would like to see if they enjoy working with metal before continuing to a longer-form class.
Students experiment and sample on copper and then incorporate these new skills into a sterling silver band.
All tools and materials, including copper and sterling silver required to make your ring, are included, just turn up ready to get making.
Make a Ring in a Day is perfect for those who would like to make a ring for themselves, for a partner or for a friend.
Are you ready to dive into something more immersive? Check out our Beginners Jewellery Making Course.
What To Expect
What You Learn
How to size your ring – either to make it for yourself or for a partner or friend (if you are thinking of making a ring for someone else, please bring along the ring size or a ring in the size you want to make)
Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
What You Make
A sterling silver ring band, designed and made by you!
Small class size.
To ensure an excellent experience for our students we cap this class at 7.
What is included
- A Materials Pack valued at $25 including the Sterling silver to make your ring, base metal ie. copper and brass sheet and wire for sampling and playing.
- All the consumables you need to make your projects. That means saw blades for cutting, solder for soldering and emery paper for polishing your ring, ready to wear.
- All the hand tools and equipment you need to make your projects
- Selection of teas, coffee and yummy biscuits
What to Bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Your enthusiasm
- We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- All students must wear enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Is the date you would like to join sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. firstname.lastname@example.org
What a fun creative workshop! The day flew by as we were taught by the knowledgeable and talented Mel. Her patience needs a shout-out too because I was definitely the least naturally talented of the group but she made sure to answer all my questions and guide me into making a beautiful ring!Daniela, 2021
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.
Emily also spends a few days a week as a sessional lecturer and technical officer at the University of NSW Art and Design Campus in the Jewellery, Metal & Wood workshops.“I love the alchemy of transforming ideas into materialised design through the varied efforts and explorations of making.”