Serious School Holiday Fun!
“It was great to follow the journey of a stick of silver to a fully-fledged one-of-a-kind ring!” Claire, 2022
Is it possible for teens and tweens to make quality, well-constructed and unique solid sterling silver rings with no previous experience? At SquarePeg Studios, it is!
This fun and fast-paced jewellery-making workshop is more than just a school holiday activity, it introduces working with precious metals in a professionally equipped jewellery studio.
At A Glance
- $220 inc GST
- 11 - 18 years, Guardians Welcome Free
- 1 Day | 10 am - 3 pm
I just wanted to let you know how great the kid's workshop was with Mel last Tuesday. Both Audrey and I had a great afternoon and learnt many techniques, our finished rings and pendants were gorgeous. Audrey is keen to do more!Leanne, Audrey's mum, 2022
ABOUT THE COURSE
Use specialist jeweller saws to cut silver, learn to use hammers to texture and shape your metal, and most exciting, use jeweller’s orca torches with fire to heat (anneal) the metal and solder your ring!
Creativity meets maths and science as students learn how to measure their fingers and calculate how much metal is required to make their ring. Students then learn how to manipulate solid sterling silver into a uniquely textured ring.
Students learn to safely use the same tools and equipment that professional jewellers use to create jewellery.
This fun and fast-paced school holiday activity, a one-day jewellery-making workshop, is a perfect introduction to working with precious metals.
Responding to young students’ demands, we modified the adult version of Make a Ring in a Day to suit younger students. We have been offering Ring in A Day for almost ten years to 100s of happy students, with consistent 5-star reviews, so we know what we are doing!
Students experiment with textures while sampling with copper and then incorporate these new skills into a sterling silver band.
All the tools and materials to make your ring are provided, including copper and a sterling silver strip.
This workshop introduces all the same techniques as in adult classes. Therefore, with the nature of the jewellery workshop environment, tools and equipment used throughout the workshop, the younger students, (under 14 years), must be accompanied by a responsible carer over sixteen. The carer may wish to participate in the workshop, to also make a ring.
Younger students are accompanied by a responsible over 16-year-old, and students 14 years and over can come unaccompanied or with a buddy and save. A special discounted ticket is available to guardians who wish to also make a ring. Or guardians can accompany their youth at no extra charge.
What To Expect
What You Learn
- How to size your ring
- Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Roller printing – learn how to impress directly onto metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand-cut stencils and much more
- Soldering – using special jewellery torches, students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
- Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
- Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
What You Make
A sterling silver ring band, designed and made by you!
- Small class size of six participating students.
- Not included in the six are non-participating guardians.
- What age group is this class suitable for?
- This class is aimed at 11 to 18-year-olds. If you feel your 10-year-old little person is very keen and capable – get in touch and we can discuss whether they may be able to join the class.
- Can students over 14 years attend unaccompanied?
- Yes, we trust that students over 14 years will be reliable and safety conscious and will be able to learn safely in the studio environment.
- How many under sixteen years old can come with one guardian?
- Two students under 14 years per one over 16-year-old guardian.
- Can my Teen/Tween bring a buddy?
- Yes, we encourage this. (see above)
- If they want to bring a buddy, they both save by purchasing the bring a buddy discounted ticket.
- Can the guardian also make a ring?
- Yes, for sure! we love that, a recent accompanying Mum is now in her third term of adult classes with us she loved it so much! The guardian can purchase the Adult ticket at the discounted price of $215.
- What do the over 16 guardians have to do if they are not participating?
- Hang out with your young buddy, help out if they need a little additional help, keep an eye on their safety and generally have fun and be supportive.
- What do you mean by Guardian?
- For this course and listing, we mean a responsible person over 16 years.
What is included
- Everything students need to create their work including the Sterling silver to make a ring to take home.
- Copper and brass materials are provided for use during class in order to practice and play with ahead of working in sterling silver.
- All the consumables needed to make the project. That means saw blades for cutting, solder for soldering and emery paper for polishing your ring, ready to wear.
- Use of all the hand tools and equipment needed to create during class
- Selection of teas, coffee and yummy biscuits
What to Bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Your enthusiasm
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- Your tutor, Mel, has a current working with children’s check.
- All students must wear enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks before the course start date.
- We recommend purchasing the refund protection at check out to cover you if you cannot attend your workshop. Please note the Terms and Conditions.
Is the date you would like to join sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. email@example.com
The workshop was a great way for me to get designs from my head into beautiful creations with the help and support of Mel. She showed me the steps I needed to take, and that gave me the confidence to make a beautiful ring and earrings. I had a great day.’Audrey 13 years, 2022
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.