Our June long weekend course is perfect for students who want to build on the skills learned in beginners level courses and take their jewellery making to the next level. With the guidance of experienced tutor Melanie Ihnen, students will learn more advanced techniques and be introduced to new tools and equipment such as the flex shaft while learning the versatile stone setting technique of tube setting.
At A Glance
- $525 inc GST
- 3 Consecutive Days
- Saturday to Monday, 10am to 4pm
This course was enjoyable, informative, and the class size was perfect. The facilities in the studio were also great. Mel was an excellent teacher who generously shared her knowledge and created a really fun and positive work environment. I’ll certainly come back for another course.Nicola, 2021
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Intermediate and Continuing Jewellery June long weekend is designed to allow students to progress their skills through the different stages of jewellery making, refining and adding new techniques to their repertoire. Your tutor assists you with design development, technical issues and problem-solving.
Students will expand upon the fundamentals of jewellery making and design and make pieces that incorporate sterling silver and cubic zirconias.
The primary focus will be tube setting stones. Tube setting is a technique that can be incorporated into a wide range of designs from delicate rings to more robust designs. Students are introduced to more advanced and complicated soldering tasks and also to the safe and effective use of the flex shaft paving the way for students to embark on more complex designs and professional finishes.
Students that have completed this Intermediate level class are able to move onto more advanced workshops such as our popular Gypsy setting workshop also led by Melanie Ihnen.
The pre-requisite for this course is our Beginners course or equivalent.
What To Expect
What do students learn
Intermediate Students are introduced to techniques such as:
- Additional and more advanced soldering techniques such as sweat soldering
- Introduction to Flexi shaft for drilling and polishing
- Professional finishing techniques
- Tube setting
To ensure that the students have the best learning experience, this class size is capped at 10 students.
What is included
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Silver strip, tube and stone for one ring. Additional silver and stones can be purchased at a reasonable rate during the class.
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Or take advantage of our payment by installments option to secure your place. This option is offered at check out.
- Pay a 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Exhausting, fantastic and learnt tonnes! Great teacher and keen to continue.Kristyn - Happy Student, 2021
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.