Our Intermediate Intensive course is perfect for students who want to build on the skills learned in beginners-level courses or intermediate students who want the opportunity to practice and add to their skills repertoire and can’t attend our weekday courses such as Intermediate and Continuing or Jewellery Making Atelier. With the guidance of your experienced tutor, students will learn more advanced techniques and be introduced to new tools and equipment such as the flex shaft while learning the versatile stone setting technique of tube setting.
At A Glance
- $565 inc GST
- Early Bird $565
- 10am to 4pm ~ choose March dates or June Long Weekend
This was a great class for those wishing to extend their skills. Mel is a patient and attentive teacher. I learned how to tube set, having never done this before, and feel confident I could now do this myself at home. I have participated in 2 Square Peg classes now, and have another booked, and have loved them both.Kim, 2022
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Intermediate and Continuing Jewellery Making Intensive is designed to allow students to progress their skills through the different stages of jewellery making, refining and adding new techniques. Your tutor assists you with design development, technical issues and problem-solving.
Students will expand upon the fundamentals of jewellery making and design and make pieces that incorporate sterling silver and a selection of gemstones.
The primary focus will be tube-setting stones. Tube setting is a technique that can be incorporated into a wide range of designs, from delicate rings to more robust designs. In addition, students will be introduced to more advanced and complicated soldering tasks and the safe and effective use of the flex shaft rotary tool, paving the way for students to embark on more complex designs and professional finishes.
Students who have completed this Intermediate level class can move on to more advanced workshops such as our popular Gypsy setting workshop, led by Melanie Ihnen.
The pre-requisite for this course is our Beginners course or equivalent.
What To Expect
What do students learn
- Tube setting
- Advanced soldering techniques
- Introduction to Flex shaft rotary tool for drilling and polishing
- Professional finishing techniques
To ensure that the students have the best learning experience, this class size is capped at 10 students.
What is included
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Silver strip, tube and stone for one ring. Additional silver and stones can be purchased at a reasonable rate during the class.
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Or take advantage of our payment by installments option to secure your place. This option is offered at check out.
- Pay a 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
A great hands-on course for expanding skills and knowledge, led by an excellent, knowledgeable and experienced teacher. A very useful and enjoyable learning experience.Philip - 2022
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.