Learn jewellery making and become an accomplished artisan at the SquarePeg Jewellery Making Atelier course! This is a unique opportunity to spend one day per week working with a discerning expert jeweller who will assist you to become successful in developing your own line of jewellery or to create special one-off pieces.
The Jewellery Making Atelier is an exciting course for students at an intermediate level or above. Offering a broad range of subjects and techniques, participants are encouraged to produce – through the process of design and making – jewellery pieces that are individual in design and well made.
Come and enjoy the camaraderie of making with like-minded people on a Thursday.
At A Glance
- $720 inc GST
- Full Day Course
- Thursday | 10 am to 4 pm
Great studio, great tutor, super helpful and knowledgeable, learned many new technical skills while in the company of lovely like-minded creatives!Gabi, 2021
ABOUT THE COURSE
This is a wonderful course for practising jewellers and continuing students offering a broad range of subjects and techniques. The aim of the studio class is to be as flexible as possible to meet individual students needs in a creative studio environment.
Students will learn relevant new techniques and explore design ideas conceptually each term and build upon them through the development of projects. Techniques covered from term to term may include hollow forming, special findings and married metals.
The SquarePeg Atelier will assist participants to develop design excellence while expanding a depth of knowledge in jewellery techniques. Students’ needs are individually met in a warm learning environment in a professional jewellery studio which is home to 14 contemporary makers.
What To Expect
What You Learn
Students will learn new skills and techniques concurrently or per term as required, with a concept explored at each stage. Please note that those who are newer to jewellery making will first master introductory jewellery techniques before progressing to more advanced techniques in future terms.
Discussions amongst the group about skills to be covered are welcome.
Jewellery techniques may include:
- The fundamentals of jewellery making.
- Soldering and metal forming.
- Use of the hydraulic press
- Married metals
- Making catches and fittings
- Other techniques depending on the student’s needs
What You Make
The goal is to provide participants with appropriate knowledge and skills in order to
- Interpret design theory in a manner relevant for making jewellery
- Develop problem-solving skills in a creative and innovative manner in relation to jewellery design and making
- Perform metalworking techniques
- Give participants skills for creative expression
To ensure that students have the best learning experience, our class sizes are capped at 10 students.
What is included?
- A wide range of hand tools and equipment.
- Some of the consumables you need to make your projects, pickle and solder are supplied
- At this level, as students will have developed preferences for particular consumables appropriate for their project needs and in an attempt to keep the ongoing classes priced at an affordable level, students are expected to have their own consumables such as emery, saw blades, drill bits and other specialist bits.
- We have a small emergency store of saw blades, drill bits, base metals and silver that can be purchased at the studio. Your tutor will assist you with how to shop for and order additional materials as required.
- A selection of teas, coffee and biscuits.
What to Bring
- A notebook or sketchbook, pen and pencil
- Magnifying glasses or a loupe are really helpful for fine work
- Any projects you have on the go that you would like to complete
- Any materials that you may be able to use for your projects
- The consumables you like to use, saw blades, emery, drill bits etc.
- Your ideas and creativity
- Lunch 😋
- We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Is the Date you Would like to join sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. firstname.lastname@example.org
Excellent Atelier with Mel. And in Covid19 safe conditions! Nice to be back working again.Pippa, 2020
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.