Our Intermediate One Jewellery Making Course is the perfect next step for students who have completed the Beginners Jewellery Making Course at SquarePeg Studios or equivalent studies elsewhere.
During Intermediate One, students consolidate their learning so far and are introduced to more tools such as the flex shaft. Students practice more complex soldering tasks and are introduced to new techniques such as tab setting, riveting and making findings like earring wires, all excellent skills to learn to open up more design possibilities for your making.
In this course, there is an increased focus is on how to get a great finish on pieces to present professional-looking jewellery.
At A Glance
- $425 inc GST
- Pay in Instalments Available
- Wednesday | 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm
Square peg studio is fantastic. It has wonderful facilities with plenty of working space. I really enjoyed being able to come and work on a new project and felt supported throughout. Thank you, I’ll definitely be back for another term.
Danielle is a great teacher who balances her time fairly between all the students. She’s good at communicating and is a lovely baker too! I’d recommend her as a teacher
ABOUT THE COURSE
During our Intermediate One Jewellery Making Course, students begin to expand upon the foundation jewellery making skills learned so far. This course is ideal for students who have past experience but wish to brush up on the basics before continuing to more advanced Intermediate level courses and workshops.
Practical exercises will be presented at the start of the term which targets improving student’s soldering skills, introduces 3-dimensionality to designs and focuses on resolved surface finishes – the fast track to creating professional-looking jewellery pieces.
As the term goes on students in Intermediate One will create a more complex jewellery design in consultation with their tutor to further practice and finesse hands-skills learned.
Having completed Intermediate One students can progress to Intermediate Two, Jewellery Making Atelier, Bezel Setting Workshop, Gypsy Setting Workshop and Winter Warmer Jewellery Making Intensive.
What To Expect
What do students learn?
Intermediate One Students are introduced to new techniques and build on existing skills such as:
- Accurate saw-piercing
- Metal forming processes
- Accurate marking, measuring and fitting
- Sweat soldering & T-joins and how to approach multiple solder jobs on the one-piece
- Tab Setting
- Findings such as earring hooks
- Introduction to the flex shaft
- Polishing processes, tips and tricks
- Students expand upon the fundamentals of jewellery making and design and incorporate new techniques into self-directed projects
- How to select, source and order materials required for your designs, an important skill to learn as you progress your making.
What You Make
To ensure an excellent learning experience for all students this class is capped at 10 students.
What is included
- A starter kit valued at $15 including the base metal for the first project.
- The hand tools and equipment you need to complete your projects.
- Some of the consumables you need to make your projects; solder, emery paper and saw blades
- For subsequent projects, we have a small store of base metals and silver that can be purchased at reasonable prices at the studio. Your tutor will assist you with how to shop for and order additional materials from external suppliers as required.
- Printed take home class notes.
- A selection of teas, coffee and biscuits.
What to Bring
- A notebook or sketchbook, pen and pencil.
- Magnifying glasses or a loupe are really helpful for fine work.
- Your ideas and creativity
- We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg.
- All students must wear enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Is the date you would like to join sold out?
Please send us an email to register your interest and to go on a waitlist. email@example.com
In the rare instance that we do not reach minimum numbers to run this class and/or our Intermediate Two class, we may merge these two classes to be one composite class run on either a Tuesday or Wednesday night (whichever night works best for the majority).
This is a great class for anyone looking to continue their making journey. You'll build upon the foundational techniques you learned in the beginners course under fantastic instructors, while also learning how to take your making to the next level.Ethan, 2020
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.