3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects – welcome to the world of Computer-Aided Design (CAD) with Fusion 360.
This Online 3D Modelling course is an introduction to designing jewellery and objects in a digital environment using Autodesk’s Fusion 360 software.
Learn how to 3D model your designs from scratch and export them for 3D printing and casting. Over this seven-week online course, you will learn the principles and workflow of 3D modelling using Fusion 360 and have the opportunity to work on your own 3D modelling project with guidance and support.
At A Glance
- $450 inc GST
- Online Course
- Weeknight | 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm
Wow! What an incredible course, so informative and Bronwen was so supportive and patient and really supported everyone with such care and compassion.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Fusion 360 beginners – an introduction to 3D Modelling for jewellery and objects teaches students the fundamentals of 3D modelling and design.
Students will learn how to 3D model their designs in Autodesk’s Fusion 360 software. The course will introduce students to the interface and principles of designing in Fusion 360, and then give students the opportunity to practice their skills on individual projects.
Learn from the comfort of your home or office with this all online course.
WHY AUTODESK’S FUSION 360 SOFTWARE?
Fusion 360 is an intuitive Computer-Aided Design (CAD) Design software program which although often used for product design, has perfect tools for realising jewellery designs for 3D printing. Unlike many other (expensive!) CAD software programs, Fusion 360 both have a generous free download trial period as well as an ongoing free subscription option tailored to start-ups and hobbyists. Fusion 360 will allow you to learn how to design and 3D model using intuitive parametric, freeform, direct and surface modelling tools.
What To Expect
What You Learn
3D Modelling Principles – Demystifying CAD. How to draw and create forms on a screen
3D Modelling for fabrication – Demystifying CAM. How to get your designs off the screen and into your hand.
3D Modelling Tools and Workflow – Sketching, extruding, solid modelling and sculpting in Fusion 360 software
Rendering 3D models for concept work.
Using 3D modelling for an independent project.
What You Make
A classic ring as your first 3D modelled design
An additional 3d Modelled design in consultation with your tutor
Students will liaise with the tutor to decide the best approach to printing their designs at their own cost (which will be dictated by the size of their models and the materials chosen to print and/or cast in)
To ensure the best experience for student this class is capped at 10.
What do you need to bring
- A reliable internet connection as classes are online
- A computer capable of running Autodesk Fusion 360 software. System requirements can be found here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html
- Download Fusion 360 from the Autodesk website prior to the first class. You can register for a personal account which will give you 1-year FREE subscription. You will need to create an Autodesk account to download the software which you can do here: https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/fusion-360/personal
- It’s good to have a sketchpad, pencil/pen and a ruler handy.
- We recommend using a mouse, instead of a trackpad while 3D modelling, as it is more ergonomic.
How will the course be taught online?
- This class will be presented via the Zoom platform. Zoom participation details will be sent to students ahead of class.
- If you haven’t used the Zoom platform previously – it is fun and easy to learn after a simple download of the platform.
Online Learning Etiquette
- When learning online it is a best practice that students keep their microphones on mute to minimize background noise interfering with the class experience (unless they are addressing the group or asking a question of course).
- Please join the class prepared to have your video on to create a welcoming, collaborative, and inviting online learning environment for all to share within the virtual classroom.
- Be mindful of ergonomics when using a computer for an extended period of time
- Enrol below – you can secure your place on the spot!
- Enrol early and take advantage of our payment by instalments option to spread the payments out over three payments. This option is offered at check out.
- 40% deposit followed by a 30% payment six weeks out from your course, and the final 30% payment three weeks ahead of the course start date.
Just completed this class and absolutely love it. Very well suited for online learning and perfectly balanced content for all levels. The extra homework projects were a great way to brush up on skills learnt during the class each week. I feel comfortable enough with the program to now be able to work through my own projects and build on the training provided. Thanks so much!!Row, 2021
Why choose a jewellery making course at SquarePeg Studios?
Our courses are taught by highly experienced and passionate teachers who are practising contemporary jewellers. This is the closest to an accredited course – without the assignments, stress and cost – that Sydney has to offer. Students not only gain the satisfaction of designing and hand-making their own piece of jewellery they also have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at a contemporary professional jewellery studio while learning great new skills in jewellery techniques and design.
Williams has recently completed her Masters of Fine Arts (Research) candidate at UNSW Art & Design. She has exhibited at a variety galleries across Sydney and NSW including UNSW Galleries, MOP Projects, 107 Projects, Gaffa Gallery and AirSpace Projects. She has previously collaborated on projects with artist Paul Gazzola and Paul Granjon as part of the ISEA in 2013 and co-curated the NOW now festival 2016 and 2017.
She is a co-founder of Studio Opi, a furniture and homewares object design studio in Sydney.